Camper murder suspect faces Vic court

Carol Clay and Russell Hill were last heard from while camping in the Victorian Alps in March 2020.
Carol Clay and Russell Hill were last heard from while camping in the Victorian Alps in March 2020.

An airline pilot accused of the double murder of Melbourne campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay has faced court in the latest development in the mysterious case.

The story of the campers, last heard from at a remote Wonnangatta campsite in the Victorian alpine region, has captured public attention since March 20 last year.

The investigation moved forward a step on Friday, with accused killer Gregory Stuart Lynn, 55, facing Sale Magistrates Court via videolink charged with their murders, as police continue their search for bodies.

Mr Hill and Ms Clay were last heard from when Mr Hill, an experienced outdoorsman, made a call via high-frequency radio saying he was at Wonnangatta Valley.

Court documents shed little light on what is alleged to have occurred there, but police accuse Lynn of murdering them at Wonnangatta on March 20.

Lynn did not apply for bail during the short hearing before Magistrate Greg McNamara.

Sergeant Marie Fidone requested until April 19, 2022, to build the police brief of evidence against Lynn, who was arrested on Monday night at an Arbuckle Junction campsite, near Wonnangatta.

His case is due to return to court in Sale for a committal mention on May 31.

Lynn's lawyer, Chris McLennan, also appearing by videolink, said there were no issues for his client in custody and confirmed there would be no application for bail, despite the lengthy wait until his next hearing.

"The dates are probably elongated because it's a fairly substantial investigation," he said.

Wearing a grey jumper and white surgical mask, Lynn sat quietly in an interview room at Sale police station, two blocks from the courthouse.

He sat with his hands together on a table in front of him and said nothing during the hearing which ran for just a few minutes.

His wife, Melanie Lynn, also appeared on the videolink, with her camera off.

A prison van arrived at Sale police station a little after midday to take Lynn back to Melbourne, and departed a short time later.

A man understood to be Lynn was seen in the back, holding a water bottle in both hands.

Meanwhile, police and forensic specialists continue to scour Victoria's Great Alpine region for the remains of Mr Hill and Ms Clay.

A fresh crime scene was established in the region on Thursday.

Police have not revealed exact details of the area they are investigating, saying they are still finalising the search area.

Australian Associated Press