The Victorian government has backflippped on its ban of new IVF procedures following the circulation of an online petition.
Premier Dan Andrews fronted media on Wednesday announcing that IVF services would be resumed even during the statewide Code Brown.
"Decisions were made based on advice, it's now appropriate to have another look in the context of things as they are unfolding," Premier Dan Andrews said.
"I'm very pleased that the public health team has reviewed the advice and the minister has accepted that and been able to make a new decision [...] to reinstate IVF services."
Earlier this week, Victoria's Deputy Premier and Acting Health Minister James Merlino had announced a state-wide 'Code Brown', which would effectively put a pause on non-urgent elective surgeries and procedures.
Under those rules, women who are scheduled for new IVF treatments after January 6 will now have to wait until mid-April.
The government has now reversed that decision and will allow new patients to begin proceedures from next week.
It comes after an online change.org petition garnered 139,676 signatures in just a couple of days.
The petition was created by activist group Our Infertile Life Victoria after the emotional plea from 45-year-old IVF recipient Melanie Swieconek went viral on social media.
Speaking to the Today Show on Wednesday, Ms Swieconek said she had been left devastated following the original announcement, but was speechless with joy to hear that her previously cancelled appointment will go ahead this month.
"I made have roared first, but this IVF community roared louder. We roared because we felt like they were coming for our babies, we were like some lionesses, and they heard us and I am so, so thankful they heard us," Ms Swieconek said.
"We can all just continue with our life and our preparations and we can put everything back in place now."