HAWKESBURY City Council is inviting locals to help them celebrate Local Government Week with the annual Hawkesbury Fest, occurring online for the first time in 2020.
Local Government Week will be held from Monday, August 3 until Sunday, August 9, with the theme 'Councils Do', to showcase the work councils do in their local communities.
It will consist of a week of scheduled online events for everyone to access and enjoy.
"Over the last two years, Hawkesbury Fest was held on a Sunday afternoon at Governor Phillip Park to celebrate Local Government Week. In 2019, the second year of the event, Council held a first birthday celebration of the Governor Phillip Park with 54 community groups being involved and more than 6000 people attending the event," a Council release said.
"In keeping with the COVID-19 requirements of the Federal and State Government, and for the safety of the Hawkesbury community, Council has adapted the physical event to a new online version."
The following events will be hosted online at the Hawkesbury Events Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/hawkesburyevents) during Local Government Week.
Monday, August 3 - Cultural Services
- Cultural collections online, Literacy - reading and information
- Art - exhibitions and creative activities, Local History - exhibitions and history activities
- Waste to Art exhibition displayed online
Tuesday, August 4 - Economic Development
- Hawkesbury Business Hub, Hawkesbury Business Directory, mentoring programs, grants
Wednesday, August 5 - Parks and Recreation and Hawkesbury Companion Animal Shelter
- Bushcare Volunteering video, Memorial Park upgrade and Ham Common gym equipment upgrade, Hawkesbury Community Nursery and National Tree Day
- Find out about the Hawkesbury Companion Animal Shelter including how many rehomed animals and the importance of microchipping
Thursday, August 6 - Community Services
- Resilience and Recovery by Resilience NSW - volunteering, community centres, recovery initiatives, community services, learner driver programs, community sponsorship, community organisations adapting through the COVID-19 pandemic
Friday, August 7 - Environment and Sustainability
- Zero net emissions and what it means for the environment, find out about the compost revolution
- Waste to Art Competition winners announced online by Mayor of Hawkesbury, Councillor Barry Calvert
Saturday, August 8 - Visitor Information Centre
- Find out about the great heritage trails and tourist drives in the Hawkesbury, plan your weekend away in the Hawkesbury
- Launch of the Hawkesbury Photo Competition for Children and Adults
Sunday, August 9 - Events
- Community events survey, events video - Year in Review
- 2021 Australia Day Awards Nominations promotion