Man charged with mid range PCA following Vineyard incident

A driver who allegedly failed to stop at a red light and hit another vehicle has been charged with mid range drink driving.

Police will alleged a Subaru Liberty was travelling on Windsor Road, Vineyard, shortly before 10.30am on Monday, January 27 when it allegedly failed to stop at the red light at the intersection with Boundary Road, hitting a stationary Hyundai I30.

"The Subaru mounted a pedestrian island before coming to stop in a bus lane," a police statement said.

"Officers from The Hills Traffic and Highway Patrol attended, and the driver, a 30-year-old man was subject to a roadside breath test, returning a positive result.

"He was arrested and taken to Windsor Police Station where he allegedly returned a breath analysis reading of 0.143."

The Beaumont Hills man was issued with a court attendance notice for driving with middle range PCA and is due to appear at Windsor Local Court on Wednesday, February 26.

The incident occurred on the final day of Operation Safe Return, the annual road policing campaign for Australia Day that began on January 24.

Double demerits were in force throughout the period for speeding, seatbelt, mobile phone and motorcycle helmet offences.

Throughout the operation, police conducted more than 190,000 random breath tests across the state and charged 316 people with drink-driving. Nearly 5,000 people were caught speeding, police stated.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy said while it was encouraging to see 162 fewer people were charged with drink-driving offences compared with last year, some people were still not getting the message.

"We continue to encourage drivers to organise alternative transport when they are drinking; however, some choose to continue to put themselves, other road users and pedestrians at risk by driving while over the limit," he stated.

"Remember, as a driver you are not only responsible for your own safety but the safety of everyone in your car."

Two people lost their lives on NSW roads during the operation, bringing the total fatalities for 2020 to four.