The State Government has been called upon to scrap its "callous" plans to demolish 145-year-old Windsor Bridge by the NSW Opposition.
Opposition Heritage Spokeswoman Kate Washington visited the area on Wednesday, January 22, meeting with locals who are calling for the bridge to be retained as a pedestrian and cycle link to Macquarie Park.
"Despite the community anger and even a Parliamentary Inquiry recommendation to retain the historic bridge, the Berejiklian Government is continuing with this a callous act," Ms Washington said in a statement.
"It makes no sense whatsoever that a historically significant bridge will be demolished at a time when we should be preserving and conserving what we have, especially when it will be put to good use by the community."
The bridge, built in 1874, is due to be demolished once the Windsor Bridge Replacement Project has been completed later this year.
Lobby group Defenders of Thompson Square have called for the retention of the bridge, stating it could be used for emergency access in addition to being a pedestrian and cycle route.
The group's secretary Cheryl Ballantyne said the community had been "ignored for years and years, but we won't give up.
"Whilst the bridge still stands, there's still hope that the government will finally see sense, listen to our community and reverse its mindless, senseless decision," she said.
The call to retain the bridge has been backed by Macquarie MP Susan Templeman, and Ms Washington has
"The Berejiklian Government doesn't care about our heritage - it's shown no respect to this community, its rich history and its wishes," she stated.
"This is a government who has a Minister for Customer Service but doesn't have a Minister for Heritage."