Association slams government over lack of action at Mulgrave station

Pitt Town residents have taken the State Government to task over a failure to upgrade Mulgrave station’s car park, resulting in a hazardous situation for local commuters.

The Pitt Town Progress Association has been campaigning about the “appalling” state of the commuter car park since early in 2017, and has met with Hawkesbury MP Dominic Perrottet and his staff members at the station twice.

Association president Peter Ryan wrote to Mr Perrottet in August saying the car park surface is unsealed and strewn with large slabs of concrete, with no lighting, no lines, no facilities for bicycles and no parking for people with disabilities.

“It is unsafe for anyone with impaired mobility and is even a hazard for vehicles with low road clearance,” the letter stated. “During wet weather the potholes fill with water to a depth of more than 30cm.”

Mr Ryan said the car park is already filled to capacity, and the situation would only worsen as further development took place in the surrounding area.

The car park upgrade was originally slated for upgrade in 2008, however the infrastructure is yet to be delivered, he said.

Transport Minister Andrew Constance responded by letter in late September, saying the government had delivered “almost 6,000 parking spaces across the network” since 2011, with another 8,000 on the way.

“The NSW Government is reviewing its approach to prioritising, locating and funding interchange upgrades and commuter car parks,” his letter, dated September 27, states.

“In coordination with Future Transport 2056, Transport for NSW has committed to the development of a Greater Sydney Parking Guideline which will address future provision of commuter car parks, including at Mulgrave station.”

But his response has been described in a letter by Mr Ryan as showing “utter contempt for the residents of the Hawkesbury”.

“The Pitt Town Progress Association has taken this issue to the member for Hawkesbury on several occasions and he has passed our request on to you for action.

“Your response appears to be a proforma letter hat can be sent to anyone in relation to car parking, that only contains the words ‘including Mulgrave station’.

“We are fed up with vague promises of action decades into the future. This matter is urgent as the current car park is dangerous and the state government clearly has a duty of care.

“The community expectation is for you to take this matter seriously and to respond with your confirmation of a firm and early date for commencement of the works.”

A subsequent letter dated November 13 from a Transport for NSW stated Mr Ryan’s comments had been “noted” however “the advice provided to you previously remains current.

State of disrepair: Residents are calling on the government to treat Mulgrave railway station car park to an urgent facelift. Picture: Geoff Jones

State of disrepair: Residents are calling on the government to treat Mulgrave railway station car park to an urgent facelift. Picture: Geoff Jones