Solveco fined by Environmental Protection Agency following fire that left a man seriously injured

A fire erupted at a warehouse on Links Road in July. Picture: 7 News
A fire erupted at a warehouse on Links Road in July. Picture: 7 News

A St Marys business has been fined for failing to properly dispose of aerosol cans that caused a fire in July, leaving a man seriously injured.

Solveco Pty Ltd was this week fined $15,000 by the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) following an investigation into the fire at its Links Road warehouse.

The EPA alleged the waste disposal company inappropriately shredded several cans that still contained flammable gases, causing the blaze about 8.35am on July 31.

A man, believed to be in his 50s, was flown to Royal North Shore Hospital after sustaining burns to 60 per cent of his body.

About 15 fire crews battled the fire.

EPA officers visited the site in the wake of the incident and found Solveco had complied with its clean up notice to properly dispose of fire water.

But the EPA ruled the company had breached its licence conditions by not following guidelines surrounding the use of equipment that sparked the fire.

EPA director of hazardous materials, chemicals and radiation, Asela Atapattu said there was “no excuse” for a facility not to follow the conditions of its licence.

“Explosions and fire can cause significant risks to workers and surrounding properties as well as a potential for offensive odours and impacts to nearby waterways,” Mr Atapattu said.

SafeWork NSW will also investigate the incident.

This story Company fined for breaching licence after St Marys fire first appeared on St Marys-Mt Druitt Star.


Discuss "Company fined for breaching licence after St Marys fire"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.