THE state government has opened the tender process for the Windsor Bridge Replacement Project.
Member for Hawkesbury Dominic Perrottet said $7 million from the 2017-18 budget had been allocated for the tender process.
The tenders are due by November 1. Roads and Maritime Services has “asked selected, suitably qualified and resourced contractors capable of delivering complex civil projects on and near waterways to register their interest in tendering on the Windsor Bridge replacement project.”
Mr Perrottet said the useful life of Windsor Bridge was over and it ought to be replaced.
“The existing bridge was built in 1874 for horse drawn carts and pedestrians but with population growth in the Hawkesbury a new bridge is required,” he said via a prepared statement.
“Traffic is slow, road users are frustrated and the bridge has run its course. This is the safest, fastest and best option for the local area and it’s what the community deserve.”