Member for Hawkesbury Dominic Perrottet hands down first budget as Treasurer, with funding to ensure Windsor Bridge Replacement Project starts

Member for Hawkesbury and NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet in his ministerial office with the papers for the 2017-18 NSW Budget. Picture: Supplied
Member for Hawkesbury and NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet in his ministerial office with the papers for the 2017-18 NSW Budget. Picture: Supplied

THE Windsor Bridge Replacement Project will definitely go ahead in the coming year after the state government allocated $7 million towards the first stage of the construction in the budget.

Member for Hawkesbury Dominic Perrottet and NSW Treasurer delivered the budget for the 2017-18 financial year in Parliament on Tuesday.

Along with the Windsor Bridge Replacement Project, the Pitt Town Bypass has also received funding as have ongoing projects along Bells Line of Road and Richmond Road.

Two Hawkesbury high schools have also been allocated substantial funding.

While not receiving the the biggest slice of the pie, arguably the item set to dominate most conversation in the Hawkesbury is the controversial Windsor Bridge Replacement Project.

It will see the current bridge replaced with a three lane one, which will also be raised higher to lessen the impact of flooding.

The project has been in the planning stages for many years and has been the subject of bitter political fights, including a court case.

It also brought about the formation of the long running Community Action for Windsor Bridge group.

Mr Perrottet says that with the $7 million in funding allocated, the project will go ahead.

Dominic Perrottet shows off the budget papers, which he has worked on since becoming Treasurer early this year. Picture: Supplied

Dominic Perrottet shows off the budget papers, which he has worked on since becoming Treasurer early this year. Picture: Supplied

Meanwhile, the Pitt Town Bypass has been allocated $3 million to bring it to a ‘shovel ready’ stage.

“This will enable us to progress a project which has been under consideration for more than 60 years and reduce heavy vehicles in the town centre so local streets can be returned to the community,” Mr Perrottet said.

The Bells Line of Road Corridor Improvement Program has received $28 million in funding to allow it to continue.

The program involves building a number of overtaking lanes between Lithgow and Kurrajong Heights.

The funding has been allocated from Restart NSW.

There has also been $9.7 million put forward to continue the ongoing Richmond Intersection Improvements Program.

The program is designed to reduce congestion along Bells Line of Road, Kurrajong Road and March Street by upgrading the intersections.

Hurlstone Agricultural College has been allocated funding, as has Richmond High School, which will see the Bini Dome replaced with a multi-purpose gym.

The Hawkesbury-Nepean Flood Mitigation Strategy has been allocated $5 million, while money has also been allocated to deliver the Bligh Park Shared Path in South Windsor.

The budget was the first to be delivered by Mr Perrottet since he assumed the role of Treasurer earlier this year.