Battery to blame for Kings Park fire

Rechargeable batteries are a fire hazard and need to be disposed of carefully, according to Sell and Parker director Morgan Parker.

CCTV footage of a recent 18-hour fire at the scrap metal business’s Kings Park site showed no apparent cause for the blaze. Mr Parker said he suspects it was started by a rechargeable battery.

The business has previously had a battery catch fire after falling out of a truck, and industry reports from overseas suggest they are fragile and volatile.

Mr Parker apologised to the community for the smoke and inconvenience, and praised the fire brigades for their “fantastic” response.

He said he hoped it never happened again, but warned the small, rechargeable batteries found in modern gadgets such as electric scooters and drones are “an extreme fire hazard”.

“They’re becoming more and more prevalent in all sorts of items,” Mr Parker said.

“We need to keep them out of the scrap stream. People need to be educated that rechargeable batteries need to be disposed of properly.”

Rechargeable batteries using Nickel-cadmium (NiCd) are officially considered hazardous waste, while Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) are non-hazardous, according to Clean Up Australia.

Both must be properly recycled, not thrown into normal bins. They can be taken to any Battery World store, and Blacktown Council has two free drop-off sites in Seven Hills and Eastern Creek.


Discuss "Battery to blame for Kings Park fire"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.