On Sunday, July 20, members of Community Action for Windsor Bridge (CAWB) celebrated one year's continuous occupation of Thompson Square Windsor.
Organisers said in what is believed to be a community action first for NSW, local residents carried out an around the clock, 24-hour vigil to protect historic Thompson Square from the NSW government's proposed Windsor Bridge Replacement Project (WBRP), which would see the demolition of the historic 1874 Windsor Bridge and its replacement with a two-lane, modern concrete bridge and a major new connecting road through the Square.
CAWB chairman Dail Miller said:
“This landmark protest has brought together an army of locals, determined to protect the Square regardless of rain, wind, freezing conditions or scorching heat.
"This protest continues to demonstrate just how deep feelings run in this community which is extremely proud of its place in the heritage of NSW and Australia.”
"The government's plan was approved by the former Minister for Planning in a one minute to midnight announcement last Christmas.
"Since then CAWB has challenged the decision in the Land and Environment Court, with a hearing set down for October.
"The NSW government recognised the CAWB volunteers with a Heritage Volunteers Award for 2014.
"In a rarely seen move, an interim Green Ban was placed on the Square by the CFMEU in May this year."
CAWB member, and long time resident Harry Terry said the only logical solution is to retain and renovate Windsor’s still-sound historic bridge for local traffic and put heavy and through traffic on a new bypass, providing a further two lanes across the Hawkesbury River at Windsor and potential for further, easy expansion in response to any future additional traffic demand”.