Drowned man was 'struggling' before went under 

11.30am: Update

HAWKESBURY Police said the man who drowned at Windsor on Wednesday evening, 25-year-old Scott Mackenzie, was attempting to swim across the Hawkesbury River when he went under and never surfaced.

Inspector Suzanne Rode-Sanders from Hawkesbury Local Area Command told the media this morning Mr Mackenzie, a visitor to the area,  was swimming from one side of the river to the other with a mate when he had some difficulty.

 “He did indicate to his friend that he was struggling but unfortunately he went under,” Insp. Rode-Sanders said.

It is estimated that the distance from one side of the river to the other is between 70 to 80 metres at that point.

“It’s quite shallow on the beach side with sudden drop offs, and according to State Emergency Services it varies from about three metres to six metres in depth,” Insp. Rode-Sanders said.

The Gazette understands police were called to the river at Macquarie Park near Windsor Bridge at about 5pm.

Mr MacKenzie's body was located at about 10.40pm, not far from where he was last seen.

Insp. Rode-Sanders said at the time of the incident, the popular recreational area was packed with water-goers.  

“As you were aware, yesterday was a very hot day and quite a number of people were on the beach side area as well as the other side," she said.

Insp. Rode-Sanders said the family of the man was devastated.

“He was a young man and as you can appreciate, it’s a tragedy," she said.

“It’s a very popular spot. There are signs clearly saying that people have drowned in that area.  All I can say is you need to be vigilant and not over-confident in your ability, particularly in waters you’re not used to. He was not from the local area."


9am report:

The body of a 25-year-old man was pulled from the Hawkesbury River over night after a swim with friends took a tragic turn. 

Police say the group were swimming in the river, just west of Windsor Bridge before 6pm when the 25-year-old got into difficulty and went under the water.

Hawkesbury Police and other emergency crews including a rescue helicopter conducted a search and located the man a few hours later in the same area.

There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident.

A report will now be prepared for the Coroner. 


Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide